Saturday, February 6, 2021

Lesson 3A, An addendum: Just the tip

 I planned on doing multiple posts in reply to prompt three of all the things that I feel like I am missing out on.  One about children and how I go back and forth.  When I want them, or just one really, it's usually because of perceived familial guilt.  Or when I am with a romantic partner and procreating and becoming a family seems like the ultimate fulfillment.  (One which usually scares the guy.)  Or when I am on an intensely independent kick and I think I don't need a man, I can do it on my own.  Then I usually come to my senses and remember that the world is an overpopulated dumpster fire and that I am inherently selfish and I don't want to be bogged down with having to worry about a child when I am running from the zombies during the apocalypse.

I'm sure there are other things I could come up with that are missing.  The second half of the lesson asks the questions about community and I was planning on going deeper into that this week (but not until tonight/tomorrow).

But I had an incident this week where it would be helpful to have a husband or reasonable facsimile of such when I sliced the tip of my finger off while using my new mandoline.  I generally cut and burn and injure myself a lot. (Inattentive/ADD thing maybe?)  And I have a pretty high pain tolerance.  The biggest issue with this mishap was the intensity of the bleeding.  I posted the fingertip on facebook for attention and while not in a great amount of pain, the bloody paper towels were piling up.  I was also already cooking dinner and low blood sugar/shaky hungry so I was pulling things out of the oven and eating salmon and sweet potatoes with my left hand while using talk to text to post on facebook and google things like "sliced off finger tip."  My stepmom saw it and must have told my dad who was like, "Do you want me to take you to urgent care?" and it didn't really seem like I had a choice because he was already getting in his car.  I didn't really want to run up a huge bill to get a band-aid put on.  And it's not that I couldn't drive, its that my car was in my garage which has non-electric not so easy to open barn door style sliding doors but not the new cool trendy ones, the kind that do not slide easily and usually require both hands and hips to get open.

Since I was wearing some silly white horizontally striped fleece pajamas my stepmother got me for Christmas (not my style but soft and warm), I managed to change into some halfway decent clothes while waiting for my dad, even shimmied into a sports bra. (I ended up with blood smeared on my face.) Put the finger chunk in a baggie inside of another baggie with ice.  Realized a maxi pad might be a better blood absorber than paper towel, called ahead to urgent care so they wouldn't close on me.

They closed at 8pm and you could tell they all wanted to go home so it didn't take long.  Given that it was a clean slice there was nothing to stitch, and it wasn't down to bone and really just a couple of millimeters so the tip couldn't be glued/attached or whatever.  It reminded me of that time I was cutting a mat out of my cat's fur and accidentally took a chunk out of her skin.  She barely made a noise then turned around and there was a gaping red spot.  I think it was when I was unemployed or broke so I tried to stick the skin chunk back on it but that didn't work so I just kept putting neosporin on it.  She still has a bald spot there that vets and groomers always seem to find and I have to explain.

Essentially, it was just a bandaid.  They cleaned it, stuck some surgical foam in it, then wrapped it with gauze and tape, which I somewhat bled through.  They also gave me a tetanus shot since the records showed it had been since 2012 and almost ten years.  It's going to need to be covered for weeks at a minimum, probably a few months until I am fully healed.  

I have spent the last few days realizing how vital my right middle finger is to daily operations.  Opening cans, typing, doing dishes, WIPING.  Wiping is very difficult so perhaps it is a good thing to not be around people so much right now.  Makes me kind of regret laughing at the wipe assist thing I saw at the pharmacy awhile back.  Makes me think when I get around to bathroom remodeling that a bidet/washelette might not be such a bad idea.

Update:  just ordered cut proof gloves and a bathroom buddy from Amazon.  

In conclusion, I started writing this blog at 8:30am this morning and am finally going to post it now.  If I had a husband, I probably would have posted it so that he couldn't see it.  Or I could have sent him to pickup the Walmart grocery pickup so I wouldn't have to go out in the subzero wind chills, then I could have secretly posted while he was gone.  Or I would be happy and have nothing to complain about on a blog. Hahahahhahahaha complaining is my life.  If I had nothing to complain about, where would I get my material?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hand injuries do make you realize how much you take your hands/fingers for granted. I'm glad it was not a serious injury (requiring hospitalization). I've been in the hospital enough times that I despise it and it has to be very serious for me to willingly go.

I do want to add that a bidet is actually a pretty darn good thing! First used one overseas. It felt really awkward at the time but once you figure it out, most people think "why aren't we all doing this?" When I redid my bathrooms, I had one installed. It's actually pretty easy. If you can install a toilet seat and capable of installing a "T joint" in the water line, you're good to go! The big thing is that you must have an electrical outlet near the toilet. Most bidets come with a 3 foot long power cable. You don't want to be tripping on power cables in the bathroom! Costco sells a couple good ones. biobidet.com is where I got mine.

Hope you heal fast. I go thru tubes of Neosporin like toothpaste so I can sympathize.