Thursday, October 12, 2023

travel blog day one, a 5 hour drive takes 9 and a half

Didn't leave until just about noon. Teared up when saying goodbye to the cats.  Am tearing up now.  Vrbos should come with cats.

Stopped at a roadside tourist attraction I've always been curious about. Pretends to be an old timey village selling antiques that are not antiques and overpriced Amish fudge. I bought fudge and some coasters at the cabin decor storage. I ruined all the cashier's lunch breaks.

Went to Rib Mountain state park and conquered the observation tower. Last year I went with a friend on out way to the poetry conference but chickened out due to heights and fatness. I was not out of breath but still a little shaky. Took a picture for a couple of Octogenarians who congratulated me. 

A few miles away is the middle of the hemisphere, off of a gravel road. It's hokey but I tell you, when I stood on that medallion the wind picked up, the corn rustled and my whole body vibrated. I thought maybe the aliens were coming. Was there not a horoscope asking if am looking for my center? Cuz here I am, grounded in it. 
Longitude is essentially arbitrary and based on imperial England, but so is everything else so just go with it okay?

At this point its almost 5 and I had hoped to be there by 5 and I'm not even close. I think of Wausau as up north but it's not, its halfway essentially. 

So I keep going and turn on Natalie Goldberg's writing down the bones. She reminded me to keep writing past the chatter to get the deep stuff. Writing is her zen practice. My dad texts me and I ignore it. The car auto replies that I am driving. He texts again. I stop at a Wal-Mart in Chippewa Falls for tweezers and munchies. 

I had intended to try to stick to local shops and restaurants but wasn't sure what would be open when I got there. I told my dad I was about an hour out and that when I did I was off the grid. On purpose. Because that is the point of getting away.

I resisted telling him I was never going to tell him anything again but I did a quick jab in the gut of more likely to die texting and driving ((which he does) then to be eaten by wolves. 

It was dark when I left Wal-Mart and GPS said I still had 1 hour 42 minutes to go. Yeesh, almost 9pm. So I drove on the freeway sticking a comfortable distance behind a speeding semi hoping that would be emough to deter deer from flinging themselves into my Rogue,  an even more likely way to die, 100% for them as evidenced by the plethora of blood splatter marking the pavement.

There was construction and lane closures and I finally was routed to some curvy back roads where I crawled along. The trees were thick except for the occasional plots filled with junk cars or total blackness that proved to be a lake only by the appearance of a small fishing boat tied to a dock in my headlights. 

I finally arrived, nearly 10pm, exhausted nut on one piece.  It is so dark because there is a new moon so I check the Aurora forecast and its low.  The cottage is adorable of course, and clean. I see what kinda tv comes in. Drew Barrymore is weird and annoying and obviously on so much adderall.  Jen would like some boundaries please.

Was going to read in bed but fell asleep so fast that I had to dinish this post in the morning. 

No comments: